View Single Post
Old 20-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

At last, I was able to view these last night. (19th April). Some of these objects were more difficult than I expected, and I tried to sooth aperture fevour by using larger scopes as the night continued.

5 Objects of interest:-

I commenced with Beta 208. I failed to split this double with my Vixen ED115mm, so tried again with my Meade ED 127mm (F9). My observation was inconclusive with a 6mm ortho EP (190x). I thought I saw a small globe near the 0 degree PA position. Hass in Double Stars for small telescopes gives the PA at 33 degrees in 2001. The star is a binary, so the PA may have well changed.

Hass's book states the pairs magnitudes as 5.4 and 6.8. However, what I saw seemed more like 2 or slightly more magnitudes in difference. I notice that Burnham quotes the magnitude as being 6 and 9.

Any more up to date information would be appreciated re this double.

Galaxy NGC2613. I observed this galaxy with 3 scopes, my Vixen ED115mm, Meade ED 127mm & Vixen 140mmSS. It was barely visible with the 115mm. Though best with the 140mm, I could only describe it as a faint elliptical haze. The shape was difficult to determine with the smaller scopes because of faint foreground stars that came into view when I used inverted vision. I used an 15mm Delite EP with all 3 scopes.

Double Star h4166. This was a nice, easily split double with the 140mm scope using the 15mm Delite (53x). It is in the same general region as T Pyxidis.

T Pyxidis. There was nothing to see here, the excitement comes when something is visible, which would indicate a Nova outburst was occurring. In my opening post, I said it was visible in an 8" scope. My mistake, I was thinking of another recurrent nova.

NGC 2818/18A: Open cluster with Planetary Nebula. Through the 140mm, this cluster looked more like a thickening in the Milky Way. The cluster is made up of a cloud of faint stars and I would not normally have even identified this as being a cluster. I did not see the Planetary. I will attempt to view this again with a larger scope, as some guides say that at least a 6" scope is required to view this object.

The Main Stars:-

I viewed all these with the Vixen ED 115mm with 15mm and 5 mm EPs.
No doubles were noted, not even with Eplison, which is said to have a wide Mag 9.9 companion.

Colours I noted:-
Alpha Pyxidis- White
Beta Pyxidis- Yellow
Gamma Pyxidis- Orange
Delta Pyxidis- Blue white
Eplison Pyxidis- Blue white.