Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 30-09-2020, 08:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Looking good there, Alex! Man, I'm stuck in an apartment in the city - I envy your setup!

Good viewing to you mate!
I have been stuck in an apartment also ...and I spent many years where everything I did was for others so I feel happy a time has come where I get to do just for me.. I suggest you buy some cheap acres as soon as you can for that time when you retire.

One corner of the roll off will be the "biology department"

I have given some thought to melting alluminium particularly as today I found a stack of old alluminium solar panel mounting frames past their use by date...mmm need some scales to see if there is enough to do the job.

I will need to make a crucible..how big? It should be just big enough so I need to find out the volume of what it is that I will make...interesting how those little things one learnt in science now becomes useful..I have figured that out...I will ready some clay tomorrow and make form work for the pad that my forge can sit on...mmm need a leaf blower for bellows and start gathering cow manure for fuel....I recall Lord Rose made his big mirror using cow manure as fuel...burns real hot... should be interesting to see if I can do it.
But I need a clay crucible..I tried to melt some brass using a steel crucible and the cow manure I used was so hot it melted the steel.
Hmmmm also cut up the alluminium and work out the volume there as well.
But after seeing these videos of Indians making bowls using sand molds I think it is doable.
I can use the top of the tripod as a template but will have to fashion the rest using wood.
Probably make a few molds so mistakes don't stop me...if they are all good maybe someone here could use one.
I have thought to make it using resin...and instead of fibre glass use those stainless steel pads you use to clean pots and pans..that would be real strong I feel...lot easier..but I am hopeful I can pour one and more in alluminium.
Alex