View Single Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:27 PM
RonPrice (RonPrice)
Mr Ron Price

Glorious learning

SPACEFILES: The Universe Unveiled is available on DVD in a 260 minute package. On TV the DVD comes in various configurations: 26 x 10, 13 x 20, 8 x 30, 5 x 50, 4 x 60 etc. I am told the series is excellent for internet streaming and e-learning. I have watched three short segments on SBSONE(1) in Tasmania in three 10 minute segments. One was this afternoon just after my wife finished cleaning the lounge-room and I finished my lunch as a dozen years of my retirement from FT work have just been completed and my extensive involvement in Baha'i community building has been significantly decreased in this the evening of my life.

SPACEFILES
is a visual compendium of space and astronomy presenting, in a uniquely flexible format, the solar system, our galaxy, and the universe beyond. Each programme or “file” offers a crisp, intelligent, picture-driven story. As a series SPACEFILES is a comprehensive tour de force; indeed it is enthralling. The 26 “files” comprise an incredible overview of our cosmic habitat. A flow of superb graphic animation and the latest images of the planets, their moons, the Sun and deep space deliver a stimulating visual exposition uninterrupted by interviews or an on-screen host. After only 3 episodes I am hooked; I should seriously think of going down to the video shop and getting the DVD. I don’t tend to be a DVD borrower in this the evening of my life, on a pension and keeping my eye on outgoing monies.

Individually, each SPACEFILES episode is a “stand-alone”. For TV the series works for prime-time slots, science magazines, informational and educational programming, and as a perfect schedule-filler. It is during the schedule-fillers that I have chanced to see the 3 episodes that I have thusfar. SPACEFILES, I am informed,2 is the latest in a highly-successful format begun in 1993 with Encyclopaedia Galactica, followed in 1998 by The Complete Cosmos. SPACEFILES carries the genre brilliantly into the 21st Century. Good writing, well-checked science and glorious pictures update and elucidate the fascinating fundamentals of space and astronomy.-Ron Price with thanks to (1)SBSONE, 3:10-3:20 p.m. on 21 June 2011; and (2) “Space Files,” York Films of England, an internet site.

It’s about time that I have seen
some of this series made before
I retired from the world of being
a man employed and having time
filled with meetings & the endless
wall to wall people. I now travel in
the universe of learning; all these
years of my retirement have freed
me from FT, PT and volunteer work.

At last, I can get into science and the
cultural attainments of the mind and
not have to worry about students and
their learning.....I can worry about my
own learning and the feast is endless…
rich and glorious as it was on this cold
winter solstice travelling as I did into all
those trillions of miles of space, & stars!

Ron Price
21 June 2011[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ron/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by RonPrice; 21-06-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: to add some words