View Single Post
Old 15-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Protiotype (Ray)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamone View Post
Also, it is 32 hours til I catch the bus to Sydney, and then fly out the next day (go go 16 hour plane ride).

Sorry if the post is a mess, it is a combination of needing sleep and anticipation of my trip.
Hopefully you get some good sleep within the next 28 hours - do get it done earlier rather than later as the closer you get the less likely you'll get any sleep at all, as was my case. Be happy with dreamless dozing on a 16 hour flight if it's Economy; expect more and be disappointed - resting still is still good for the body; see if you can get your breathing down to 2 breaths per minute and have your mind wander with random imagery.

Here's my no-sleep log (times in UTC, fuzzy times in UTC+10):

2017-08-10 Thu ~5pm wake (07:00Z) (I'm an owl...); tidied house, started packing.

2017-08-11 Friday day: Rode bike to be more tired at night... (hmm....) Repacking.

Friday night: 2 hours sleep.

2017-08-12 02:20Z Depart YBBN

2017-08-13 03:45Z Arrive KSEA (after 4 hour delay out of KSFO due to a cancelled flight) - transfers were at NZAA and KSFO. Baggage collection delay due to an odd scan on my barcode and earlier flight changes through Air New Zealand. But I was happy I got it an hour after landing rather than a day later.

2017-08-13 06:30Z into room in Seattle
08:30Z sleep.

72 hours. 2 hours sleep. Other times dozing and microsleeps only. No REM sleep. 22 hours of flights (including transit) ended up being 26 hours with a 4-hour mechanical delay. 32 hours door to door.

So, in case you haven't done this before (especially with everything else lining up), I strongly recommend *not* doing last day exercise because it won't help with sleep; it'll only make for more tired legs at the airport.

Also, use the free trolleys at every opportunity if your carry on doesn't have wheels. 6.8kg over such distances adds up... People don't tend to mention these things.

And change of clothes, etc for transfers & delays. Don't forget your toothbrush (I didn't, phew)!

Interestingly, I think my terrible sleep hygiene has paid off in cancelling out any jetlag. Flying west again on the 23rd will be interesting; hopefully a night time departure with more sleep in the bank means I won't mind so much this time.

Last edited by Protiotype; 15-08-2017 at 04:32 AM. Reason: (Edits made to correct times and add detail.)