View Single Post
Old 14-12-2020, 10:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmc View Post
Re discharge depth, lead acid (eg. AGM or Gel) are basically flat at 50%. Lithium (ie. LiFePO4) can go down to around 20 & 30%

When you include depth of discharge and the number of rated cycles for a battery, lithium iron phosphate work out cheaper over their lifetime
(DOD - charge cycle as - look them up in each battery spec)

And a warning, don’t buy cheap batteries from a Facebook add. They are likely to be fake.

Some batteries like enerdrive & invicta have built in power meters accessible via a Bluetooth app.

Also note that some batteries will allow parallel and no series connection (and series with no parallel)

There are some good sources of information from companies like victron and bmpro on the internet

Cheers
Greg

Edit: some Links-
Victron AGM verses Lithium
BMPro information

Victron info on wiring
Those links were very helpful...however I have decided to go with the old acid battery...may be false economy in the long run but I may not last a long run...I will be more than happy to out last the batteries.I am already keeping brochures for old peoples homes and funeral suppliers.

The system has been designed, thought about , adjusted, costed ( I even did a spread sheet), and I am about to order stuff today if I can get motivated..got a touch of cabin fever..rain inside a caravan etc.so maybe just play guitar..the system is to be 24 volt, eight Trojan 250 amp (6vlt) hour batteries to provide (real power over 20 hours) of 450 amps at 24 volts ( which would be 900 at 12 volt..I need to think in 12 volt) ...so 20% of that ...this should be ample...I will leave the current 12 volt set up as is and early days will see the new system as a charging unit for the current 12 volt system with a big lead going to the observatory. I am going for a 1000watt Victron Inverter / Charger and a new solar regulator so I don't have to take the one in the 12 volt system...and there will be fancy fuses and mounting boards..and "enclosures"..never had an enclosure before ..and it will be a professional job as it will be done by my neighbour who was an electrical engineer in his working life...I know I am going over board but the new system will be housed in a new garden shed as will be the genny. I think this set up will allow a comfortable life.

The air conditioner needs the genny but when I get the car port built over the van probably won't need it much.

Again thanks to everyone for your input I greatly appreciate getting all your thoughts as all of this really helps me get things done...
Alex