View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Boy View Post
I used this list to guide my observing tonight. Thanks for the suggestions Malcolm.

I had limited success but the ones I could find were quite spectacular.

I couldn't quite catch Eta Carina Nebula but did manage to get NGC 3532. 47 Tuc is one of my favourites at the moment so I'm pretty good at finding it.

Couldn't find NGC 362 but the sky in that area was pretty light polluted so will try again another night from elsewhere. Also couldn't find the Tarantula Nebula - there's quite a bit happening around there so it was hard to locate for me.

The Jewell Box (NGC 4755) was amazing. I thought I found it the other night and tonight confirmed it. The longer I spent on it, the more I managed to see. Caught a glimpse of a couple red stars (red giants?)

Omega Centauri is up too late for me!

So, mixed results tonight but worth finding a few new sights. If it wasn't for the nicotine addicted neighbour who had to to have a fag in full light every 30 minutes, I may have been a little more successful (and patient!)

Cheers,
Af.

Hi Af,

If you are using charts to find stuff, and are having trouble doing so, you might like to make this little gizzmo to use with your charts and finder scope:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=53378

I use it from both my home site (inner city Sydney), and also from dark sites.

Binoculars are also a big, big help with observing done from a light polluted site as they show stars otherwise washed out by the light pollution, making star hoping much, much easier. These I always use at home. They donot need to be expensive, or overly big. Anything with an objective lens over 25mm will reveal most stars plotted in charts, with 7X50 binoculars being the "standard" astro size.