View Single Post
Old 13-11-2008, 06:41 PM
FOOTPRINT

DSLR Cameras vs. cooled Cameras

Hi All,
Interesting to see all the comments on this subject, and I suppose all in all the EOS300D-modified, IS a cheap Astro Camera, and a very good one at that, with matched dark frame removal one can acheive very good results, if of course the Camera is used on a Scope which will give the right arc/sec. per pixel.

Someone mentioned that the best way to go is to get a cooled CCD Camera, such as the QHY-8 or ST-4000 Etc. Etc., I agree as CCD pixels are closer together (CMOS have wider spacing due to amplifiers Etc. sitting alongside them, the micro lens used now does help matters a bit, and auto dark frame (get rid of Amp. glow) helps also (later Canon Cameras), but with all this still not as good as a modern CCD chip, However to be able to use the nice cooled Camera for nice long exposures you need a dark sky, I think most of us live near or in a city where Sky Fog is a fact of life and long exposures are not on, if you get 5-10 Min. you are doing well, but with stacking great results can be had so all in all the CMOS chip Canons do have a place in Astrophotography, comments are most welcome on this subject, come-on, have a say.

regards.............Jim