View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOTPRINT View Post
Hi All,
As new DSLR Cameras seem to come on the market at regular intervals, with more and more pixels, (but smaller) and I believe closer together, decreasing the sensitivity in direct proportion, making the old EOS300D Camera with the largest Pixels ( 6.3 Mp at 7.4 microns in size) better ,than say the EOS450D (the latest model) with twice as many pixels (12.2 Mp) but only 5.2 microns in size, any ideas out there ??.
The 300D in comparison to the latest models fairs up ok but as has been mentioned, amp glow is a real issue, being early generation technology.
The best performing Canon APS-C model for astro atm is the 40D which utilises a 14-bit processor.
IMO weight should not be an issue.
If the mount can't handle the slight increase in weight then it's already close to it's limit anyway.

Quote:
Also seeing CCD image sensors (some Nikon Cameras) are better than CMOS sensors-(Canon Cameras) would not the Nikon D70 having a CCD array be better than the Canon DSLRs (pixel size being equal)`for Astronomy work, of course modification of the UV/IR filters would be required, wonder has anyone out there had experience with using both types of Camera.

regards.......Jim
I have not been overly impressed with astro images from the Nikon D70 although I do suspect that the new Nikon D300 will perform well for astro.