View Single Post
Old 15-05-2020, 10:57 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

An uninteresting update.

I had problems with the roll off roof such that it was jumping the track..it seems the timber guides were able to move out just enough...so...anyways getting the observatory closed at 2 am with a crow bar is no fun ..I widened the running surface but thinking it thru it really needs to run in a u section track..I think I have some laying around so I will fix that so it just can not fail.

I invested in three 140 amp hour batteries (That gives me 420 amps at 12 volt only draining to 25% = more than enough) which replace the near useless batteries that came with this free van..what a disappointment the original batteries turned out to be..I was mentally valuing them at $800 I thought they were special but was a cheap fix for the previous owner..they were really no more than car batteries.

Anyways the new batteries (acid matt) fit into the nice battery boxes (not inexpensive but free to me) and no wiring had to be changed.

There are two solar panels on the roof which I estimate at 100 watts each and I replaced the regulator that I fried months ago...all is good and my fridge loves having sufficient power such that fridge matters are now somewhat normal...now why are these new batteries important to the actual observatory..well now the 120 amp battery borrowed from the astronomy department is now back in the observatory set up ..so..for the observatory it has...a 120 watt panel with regulator built in..a fantastic product..a 120 amp hour battery and a back up 750 watt genny...so it is now entirely separate from the van and visa versa...

I am so happy I got someone in to clear the trees..I was going to cut them myself which was not a good idea with crook legs..you need to be able to move real quick sometimes...and this guy really worked...nearly as hard as I would back in the day and only $200 a day..three days? Maybe four...and he tells me he can dry hire a machine so I plan turning it into a park..a place for archery like...he got some of the tree that fell in the dam out but with the machine we can make it beautiful...and although the petrol tank on the fire pump, which the tree fell on is tinted it looks ok..I have not tried to start it..I know slack.

I have more logs than I know what to do with and if anyone wants to build a log cabin I can supply the logs ...is 50 cents a foot ok? You select , cut and take away and pile up branches etc...serious folks...an opportunity to build that log cabin you always wanted.

Still so much more to do as it is all the small jobs that take time and although I thought originally expected that I would get this done in six weeks it is near one year.

I am rather happy with my achievement as it was far from easy and without sooking too much my legs pain almost prevented me carrying it to completion..so many times I was going to give up..in fact sell all my gear but here I am now with a dream set up...now my next project I am seriously thinking about a 16 inch and building a log cabin observatory.

It seems like a big job but if I do one log each day it seems manageable...I have cleared a patch just in case I don't back off and testing a couple of cutting methods to key the logs. I need a dolly to move them but I can use a ramp to put them in place.

There more you think it thru the easier it becomes and now that I will give up Sydney living I will be able to do this...it would look so cute...and I want to get my old yacht back and put it in the dam..or another boat....then my world will be perfect...

I need to do the logs in a way that they can shrink as I can't wait for them to season the right way..I don't have that time really...anyways I won't go for a pier first up ..I will leave a foundation but run the new scope just on its tripod eq8? And figure out just how high I want it all to be after long usage before I commit to a permanent set up...but put in a stove and bed desk etc.

I won't add photos because things are still a mess and I will leave them to much later when it is truly finished..garden on the outside and paint etc...if ever. Maybe I will cause these before shots will show work everywhere..in progress...well the whole place is in a terrible mess..dead gennys, uncompleted outside bench, the forge is laying on its side, the veggie garden is just a mulch pile, there are pile of logs off cuts and branches piled all over, rounds laying everywhere...but I only see how it will be...when I can walk out off the log cabin down the jetty onto the sail boat..It don't have to go anywhere...and great guest accommodation if any of the girls visit.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 15-05-2020 at 11:08 AM.