View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
gregbradley

It lokos terrific although I would say there is a caveat.
It is highly unlikely Canon have developed a new sensor here. This would the same tech as before.

The difference is the Digic V+ and most likely a more advanced noise reduction algorithm going on.

I think Canon have started manipulating RAWs like Nikon used to do. There are posts about this on DPreview.

Your RAW is probably not RAW. Whether that means less faint stars or no difference at all is something future images will show.

But low noise is low noise no matter how they are getting it as long as you don't miss out on detail. Its the final image we are intereted in not how you get there.

A 6D high ISO jpeg I saw on the net at ISO8000 was pretty grainy and lacked a lot of detail, simiar to my little Sony RX100. So jury is out on this high ISO point. I would be surprised if it could beat the 5D3 personally but thats just an opinion. The trend has been for a lot of manufacturers to rely more on the increased processor power and the jpeg engine to do noise reduction rather than the sensor itself being much cleaner or a combo of both.

Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
The 5D Mark II was announced in October, 2008. So, the sensor is getting long in the tooth. However, it still takes just a beautiful image today as it did the day it was released. And, same with the original 5D.

It's quite telling that the gap was quite small in release dates between the 5D Mark III and the 6D, and the 6D performs better in terms of noise characteristics. So, even in those few months, there was advancement in sensor technology.

Oh, there's also rumours of a 40 megapixel monster around the corner, too.

I think I might just have to get one.

H