View Single Post
Old 30-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
Both your polar alignment and Star alignment accuracy are governed by your optical train and atmospheric conditions at the time. No Synscan Goto alignment will slew from Star to Star , object to object exactly in the centre of each Star all around the night sky, there’s always a small amount of error.
If your using an illuminated reticle centering eye piece a minimum requirement would be a 20mm 70deg to give enough FOV and not to much magnification. I still use my Orion 20mm 70 deg illuminated reticle eye piece to Star align my 12” goto dob
You should only require a 2 Star alignment if your mount is set up correctly and has no slippage on either axis. I’ve never had to use a 3 star alignment for better accuracy, 2 star has given me satisfactory accuracy and results
Just remember an adjustment in polar alignment will affect your star alignment, that’s why after each PA iteration you have finish with a star alignment
Star alignments are saved in your mount when you power off , when you resume using the mount on another night and the mount remained stationary in the home position, when you power up the Mount, select option 1 in the handcontroller the mounts alignment data is saved and ready to go again. Obviously if you move or pack away the mount after each session you have to polar align and Star align again
Make sure you de activate the Star Alignment Filter in the handcontroller, go to Set up > Alignment Stars > Adv Filter choose off . This will provide a more expansive list of alignment stars to choose from
There are so many more things to check but see how you go
Cheers
Martin