View Single Post
Old 13-03-2010, 02:58 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

My reasoning regarding the Orion AO is that it is more expensive than the SX unit, it requires nearly twice the back-focus distance, its quite a bit larger, physically heavier and yet designed to do the same job. When it comes down to it, its a question of who you trust, and what you're willing to pay... Even if the performance was equal... Would you pay more for the Orion option than for the SX option? Also, I've seen results from the SX unit, I've not seen anything from the AO unit, nor have I heard from anyone who uses one...

The Orion one with a motorized OAG rotator seems like a good plan... Implementation is the key, and getting it all finished and in the market without adding 1k to the cost of the unit is important too..

Competition is always good.. the more AO units there are available to us, the better. I just think they should be appropriately priced... If SBIG can do the AO-8 for $795 USD, how does Orion justify $2250AUD for their AO unit?

As you say, -60c and AO is the goal, I'll just wait till I can get it in the most self contained way possible... Which I would imagine will be the STX-8300, STX CFW, STX-AO. Needing only the power and data lead for the camera, everything else plugging into the STX-8300 head, reducing cable clutter between the laptop and the mount, lessening the load on the USB etc