View Single Post
Old 26-03-2010, 03:55 AM
astrospotter (Mark)

Agree with 2516 little man description

Thanks for the OR, I miss the south skies already ... sob. Only having seen 2516 a few times (EVER) a week ago the image of a speckled man hit me right away as well. Part of the fun is picking out what these objects remind us of it seems.

What a great open cluster. This is my detailed note as I am currently making my way through my rather crammed session with this one just transcribed from my recorder yesterday. It starts with 'clinical description' but then the man is described. The 1st line are some tags my perl script extracts when I process this entry so it lands in my main spreadsheet with things like what list it appears on (besides NGC/IC etc). format is compatible with MegaStar below is why I do it this way.

con: Car lst: SSAL,C96 cmt: MJ_SpeckledManCluster:
NGC 2516 Cr 172 Mel 82
Open 3.8 29.0' 80 7.0 I 3 r LYN 07 58 00.0 -60 45 00
1:10am 35mmPan 30' main len 2EL NS orientation. About 50 stars Naked Eye visible. Obvious from background and many tiers of magnitudes. Impressive. Like a man with 1-star head to the south. Carbon star on W side of body. Feet both point to E at far N of cluster. Head is 1 star spaced by small gap. 1 leg bends to N in arch. Other one sticks out NW with a foot straight E (brighter stars). Arm on West comes out and drops North.