View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 01:00 PM
Asela (Asela)

Portable Power Options... Reviews..??

Hi All,

I am a very recent owner of a 8" Newtonian & a Sky-Watcher EQ6 Pro mount but didn't take much time to realise how much light pollution exists in where I live. Which has now left me only one option to observe at a remote location, which I didn't think I'll have to think this soon!!

So, I have been reading forums and asking my best friend Google about options and have come across 3 which are below;
1. Adventure Kings AGM Deep Cycle Battery 98AH + Maxi Battery Box
This does seem to be bulky and the specifications indicates weighs 27.4Kg and price of just over $300 including delivery

2. Dometic Coolpower RAPS 44Ah Battery Pack
The specifications indicates a weight of 13.5kg and price of $350 including delivery

3. Lifepo4 12V 40Ah Rechargeable Battery Pack
This does seem to be the best option indicating a weight of about 5.7kg and priced at $334

I definitely don't want to have anything bulky and heavy and so checking to see if anyone have used any of the above or could give me a suggestion on a small portable power source please? Tbh I don't have a clear picture of how much power I'll be needing but it will be for the mount, camera, dew heater and a laptop(I know mine drains a lot of power but not in a position to change it right now).

Does anyone have any experience on my above option 3 as I'm inclining more towards that but the delivery seem to be taking ages as it comes from China!!

Thanks all in advance!