View Single Post
Old 21-02-2019, 09:41 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Guiding, what is your take about it?

Hi again,

I feel desperate about what setup combo i should use or to get, and this sometimes lead me to many questions and sometimes i don't know how to ask, and people just answering me in more confusing way that i feel it was a mistake to ask first place.

For now i have my ST80 and 8" F5 Newt and few Canon lenses i can use for DSO imaging, i bought ZWO 60mm as a guide scope although i have this ST80, in fact i bought that ZWO 60mm guide scope to be used with ST80 when i know that ST80 is also a guide scope, now i am trying to ignore using my ST80 as my DSO imaging scope and depending more on 8" F5 once i figure out about collimation and corrector, and also Canon lenses, what should i use for guiding then?

Someone highly recommended me an autoguiding stand alone device, he said he is very happy with it and swear by it, sounds it is the solution then, but not sure if it is good for certain setup or all setup, and in the future i don't know when i am planning to buy an APO refractor scope [most likely 4" maybe], so i want to make sure what guiding path i should go with, which system, which camera, and everything, i am using PHD2 so software is done, but i still keep reading about pulse guiding too, and not sure about that autoguiding thing if it needs PHD2 or it has own software or whatever.

Last year i tried my ZWO 60mm and QHY5L-II-M camera with my ST80 setup, turned out i waste4d a lot of frames because it was misguiding or guiding didn't work properly, and i felt like i don't know how to fix it from YT videos, and i didn't wait to go out imaging when all what i will have are only short exposures which are not enough, i am not good into Plate solving, so i am trying to depend on long exposures per night, but without guiding i am barely can go up to 1-2 minutes subs at best for about 1 hour, so i know i have to add guiding into my imaging, just don't know how and with what.