View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 08:38 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Incidentally, I can understand the design intent behind the change in how these are laid out compared to an EQ6 and I reckon it is all about assembly time in the factory.

Where the Astrobaby EQ6 guide really is in depth (and needs to be) regards setting up the bearings with shims so that the axis move feely but don't have undue end float (The factory would have to do the same within a reasonable tolerance) in the AZEQ design with parallel needle roller bearings on the shaft and thrust bearings at both ends, bearing setup is much simpler.

All they really need to do is to select an end shim that aligns the worm and ring gear properly and the rest more or less looks after itself unless it is so far out that the encoders don't work or the clearances close up and cause fouling between parts when the clutches are engaged. When the clutches are released there is actually significant end float in both axis and this is actually a function of how the clutches work.

Tuning wise I think the main thing to be done on these mounts would be cleaning any swarf and re-lubricating. And I found that the grease used was in much better condition than I expected. My only gripe is one of the socket screws for the Dec worm assembly (That you loosen to set the worm mesh) had it's thread destroyed from new, it had been stripped on assembly and put back in snug instead of tight with threadlocker on it. A job for another day to work out a thread repair.