View Single Post
Old 14-03-2008, 08:40 PM
allan gould

Well I may as well let the cat out of the bag - it is a scope sold by Steve Massey (myastroshop) under his brand name of ProStar. I was interested in the maker and have gone down exactly the same road as you guys. It looks exactly like the early Meade 127mm photos down to the diagonal, unique colour scheme etc and Maxvision is a likely manufacturer. But I still can't say for sure - its all conjecture. But the truth is in the pudding as they say. I've gone over this scope with a fine tooth comb and compared it to the others I've seen and tested. I am going to write a review of the scope and its attachments - but let me say that when I'm using it at high or low power the scope disappears and I just view through it and I have to say that it will stack up against the WO brand name scope. I own one and have looked through others of the same size. But better still its $2400 cheaper than that 132mm WO and all components are CNC aluminium. I haven't foound a piece of plastic in it.
The finish has to be seen to be believed - it has some peculiarities in the finderscope but for $3100 I can't fault it. Optically mine is brilliant and easily took a 4mm eyepiece without image breakdown on Saturn last night.
The above are my opinions - I stand by them with this particular scope. But remember you may be looking for something else than I did. I wanted a good scope with great optics and at an affordable price.
Your desires may be different. It will be going on my Losmandy with the 80mm WO as a guide scope.
Regards, Allan