View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 10:17 PM
gregbradley

I have been following this camera with interest.
The only camera that may be as good or perhaps better is the upcoming ASI2400MC. That is a BSI, 24mp, full frame sensor due to be shipped at the end of June. But its US$3695. Not far off the ASI6200 61mp fullframe in both colour and mono. The ASI2400mc has nearly 6 micron pixels so it would suit most scopes up to 3 metres focal length (I use 6 micron pixeled camera on a CDK17 and it works really well).

APSc suits some setups. You don't need a 3 inch focuser but can use a 2.7 or 2.5 inch focuser. Full frame cameras require a 44mm corrected circle form the scope something many can't provide except the more expensive scopes. APSc requires a much smaller corrected circle and a lot more scopes can handle that for a more reasonable cost.
The approx. 3.76 micron pixels suit many shorter focal length scopes with average seeing. Longer focal length scopes may struggle or give up a bit of sensitivity with the smaller pixels but you can bin the camera to compensate.

If you do a search on astrobin.com under ASI2600mc you'll see some pretty impressive images.

There is also a review of the camera, I think it was from a thread on Cloudy Nights. Its very enthusiastic about the ASI2600mc.

I think if you don't want to go mono and filters etc then the ASI2600mc is probably the best OSC camera out there at the moment.

Greg.