View Single Post
Old 18-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Kunama

I use mine only in Alt/Az mode and find it to be one of the best options....
There are not many mounts with full GoTo that work in A/A mode and handle a decent payload.

Wavy brought up some good point that I agree with completely:
Dual mount option is more of a gimmick than a goer
Tripod is best described as 'rather ordinary', half cooked pasta comes to mind
Hand control is OK but not great

But for me the mount works well enough for my visual pursuits.
Tracking and GoTo are reasonably accurate providing that you choose your alignment stars wisely and centre them well during alignment.

I use the two star alignment with stars at altitudes between 30º and 60º and separated in azimuth by at least 120º,
I centre them by setting them to drift through the centre and hit the enter as they are centred in my Baader illuminated reticle eyepiece.

I tried using the second saddle for dual mounting and found it was a waste of time for anything other than a very wide field scope.
I now have two OTAs on the same side and a single 10.5Kg counterweight.
(I still need to make a decent 'L' bracket, the prototype has proved the concept but cannot deal with the weight and flexes far too much...

I also replaced the base part to raise the mount head to get better clearance from the tripod.

I think I will be replacing the Synscan with the NexusDSC/iPad-Mini in the near future...

I power mine from a 16Ah LiFePo Golf Cart battery installed in my DIY battery box... works beautifully....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_5232.jpg)
196.9 KB71 views