View Single Post
Old 20-10-2017, 11:15 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
That's what I sort of saying in my original post - so long as you get the kit to add to the dome (the hardware and control box), connect it to your PC, and have ASCOM drivers for your mount, the ASCOM dome control will do all the rest for you. Download it and fire it up to see what I mean. It's connection to the mount via ASCOM is "read only" and doesn't interefere with other applications.

Note that rotation is one part, you can get more stuff to open/close the shutters as well (I don't have the hardware bits for that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
ASCOM has a utility called POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub). It connects to your telescope, dome and optionally, focuser. When you use your favourite program to control the telescope, you select POTH rather than the telescope itself and POTH will transfer those commands to the scope as well as automagically slewing the dome and keeping it in sync without you ever having to worry about it.

POTH has loads of other great features too, but that's for a later date

Takes a bit of setting up and getting used to, but once it's up and running, you will never look back!
Thanks for the feedback guys, visited a few websites and I think I have a better understanding now. When the time comes I may need to pick some more brains though

Mike