Thread: Capturing AVIs
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2008, 02:28 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Capturing AVIs

Hi all

This is actually my second question coming from efforts to image Io transiting Jupiter this morning. I put my other question in the Software and Computers forum.

I use IC Capture with my DMK, and I am curious to see if I am doing things the "easiest" way.

When I do my capturing, I prepare by creating three files (or sometimes 4) on my laptop with names based on what I am trying to image. The last part of the name is the colour channel I am going to be using ie red, green, blue. This way, I can then quickly move from one filter to the next and save a separate avi for each channel.

This morning, after giving this the normal run, I decided to simply have one avi, and I paused the recording while I changed filters. I then ended up with one avi three times longer than normal. But it was easier to do in the dark. (well, as dark as a full moon would allow!!)

I am curious which way most of you do it.

The one problem I have encountered is separating the one long avi. I took note of where the recording was upto when I changed filters, then tried to find that frame when I exported my avi's.

And this is my third question. Using the "pause and resume" method, if I made a mistake and got the transition point wrong so that there were some green frames in with the red channel, would it make much of a difference to the final image?

Thanks
Darrell