View Single Post
Old 17-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, in my opinion the new, all Japanese NA140SS (the previous SSf model was made in China) is a very under rated performer. It is a very close match with a friend’s high end 152mm APO triplet on deep space and it seems to deliver slightly better star colour definition. Of course it falls short of the 152mm APO on very bright stars, Jupiter at opposition and the Moon. However, clever strategies with filters on these objects delivers a result similar to a well corrected doublet. So, all of this for a seventh the price of the friend’s 152mm APO. Plus it is relatively compact and much lighter. For me it is much better value. It is my primary observing scope.
I have a Vixen ED103S that is set up on a goto mount for video imaging and with small modifications, daylight observing. My grab and go set up is a Ziess fluorite 85mm spotting scope that gets extensive terrestrial use and some astronomical use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
"HJ3997 @ 100 (Mag 7,7.1 @ 1.9”) - very close, virtually equal bright pale yellow beacons. 100X gave clear split even though quite close at 1.9”. This proved to be my favourite target for the night."

Not seen this one before Steve ..I now know.

Great report Steve ..and finally some more good reports...no were near enough though.

Wish we had a Double Star Sub section as does Cloudy Nights(may have to join)..Will it ever happen ?
PS:You have other scopes Steve, but prefer the big Vixen ..This is a very underrated scope for what it can do I hear.
bigjoe.