View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB View Post
Hi folks,

I'm just another newby and in need of advice. I've been reading and researching what telescope should I get as a beginner and was set for a dob 8 or 10. However, I called one of the shops today and was told that a dob may be too difficult for a beginner, specially for finding and tracking objects. I was recommended something like a reflector scope such as a Saxon 150 that comes with EZ so in theory, it's easier to find objects.
I am after a telescope that allows me to see planets (Venus, Saturn) and some deep space objects. Also something that doesn't break the bank. I'm in Vic, Pakenham.
Any tips and recommendations would've appreciated.

Thank you so much,
YB
Welcome to the boards, feel free t start another thread if you like, you may get more responses.
i am not sure what they were telling you, a Dob is a reflector. reflector means that in uses mirrors instead of lenses. the saxon 150 is the exact same design as a dob, the only difference is the mount. if they are saying that you should get an equatorial mount because it is easier, that is just not true. if you are after planetary views and deep sky objects as well without breaking the bank, an 8 - 10" dob is the way to go