Thread: Polar Alignment
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Well if you want a simple way of getting a polar alignment, (ball park) and you are having some difficulty with the SCP, you could always just 'goto a relatively bright object and then move/adjust your wedge to get the object in the EP. It is simply placing the cart before the horse. If you expect your nexstar to find an object once it is polar aligned, then it follows that once it thinks to is pointing to a known object, moving it till is is so pointing will place its polar axis close to the SCP. If you want it to track for 10 mins, you will need to drift align. I suspect that you have light polution probs that make viewing the SCP next to impossible?

edit cart/horse
Thanks Doug,

I am new to Polar aligning and havnt actually tried it yet. I am about to buy a wedge and it seems very difficult to do, but i want to try. I was just thinking that by putting an actual dot in the sky exactly at the SCP then i wouldnt have to drift align as i would already be smack bang on the dot; or at the very least a bit of drift aligning around the dot.

So i am just asking this question to see if it is feasible or just a very dumb idea. I was kind of hoping a moderator would come and tell me if my idea was completely dumb or not .

You bet, i live 2km from the center of Sydney and it is very light polluted.

Paul