View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 10:08 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Personally I think focal length is not relevant here - in my opinion great images exhibit a combination of three key criteria.

Technical
Processing
Creative
You'll find that technical gets pretty challenging very quickly with focal length and possibly costly. You get an easy bang for the buck with a two degree field at ~3asp. Seeing becomes much less of an issue. You can play with large structures and enhance contrast and colors because the fine details don't cover many pixels. This is why widefield is more popular IMHO.

FL is very relevant because the deeper you go the more there is to see and visual perception takes a back seat. It becomes more about stellar profiles, real details and color separation. You try to get to the next level of details. Seeing becomes the main issue that you have no control over. Your mount becomes an important piece of the puzzle.

Personally it's a natural progression in the hobby. I believe it might be for a lot of other imagers who have been around for a while. You just want to try and see what's up close.

We all do this for different reasons but if competitions are an important part of why you do it then certainly widefield is easier to get a gong for.