View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
I’m making the jump from my Canon DSLR to a cooled OSC Camera later this year ( I’m still going to use the DSLR in the winter months plus it’s a great planetary camera )
Looking at the new ZWOASI2600MC ( APS-C sensor ) which suits my 8” f5 and the 6” f6 newt. Just waiting on some reviews over the next few months to make a decision
Take as much time as you need to make a decision on upgrading, it’s worthwhile chatting with and getting hands on advice from IIS members
Good luck !!
Martin go mono you won't regret it ..HA is really something.
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Alex, if you’re going to upsize, maybe a 12” f/5 newt? Would still need a decent sized mount, but balancing as Glen described will do the trick.

Maybe and getting old and bitter, but unless you regularly get nights of above average seeing at Tabbie, then I wouldn’t be keen on going for the extra focal length. Beyond what the atmosphere wants to give just looks like a blur at the camera end
Your suggestion re f5 appeals. I did do some photos with my f5 12 inch back in the day..on an eq6 ..kept it withing 20 degrees of top dead centre..it worked ok.
When I lived full time at Tabby I only did astronomy all night every night and slept most of the day..when the weather did me no favours I worked on gear. I lived like that for five years which were the best years of my life. I am basically a hermit and enjoy astronomy so much I need nothing else.
I am confident I will get back to that way of life...the conditions when good are as good as one could want...a d going narrow band lets you image every night and not worry about the Moon.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 12-03-2020 at 07:51 AM.