View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 03:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A new rig advice.

With my father passing I plan to reside full time at Tabulam.

The only reason I visited Sydney was for him and certainly I prefer the quiet life in the bush.

Also I will have much more time to indulge astronomy...I don't have much time left being realistic (73 years old) so if I am going to do something I really need to focus on doing something and not just keep putting it off.

This additional time means I can look at yet another astrograph and being on site on a permanent basis my desires can become more than just a dream.

I had thought about a 16 inch but it is probably beyond me.

So I am thinking of a gso 12 inch RC (it may be beyond me also) which is for a start half the price of a 16 inch at $4 K approx...it seems reasonable to me. I am even hopeful I could use the stock focuser.

This won't happen for at least 6 months maybe 9 months so I have some time to think about the ideas.

The focal length at 2438 mm scares me and so my first question is can I use a focal reducer and if so what can I get FL down to.

Second for guiding I expect OAG is the only answer. I expect that irrespective of flex issues my 80 mm or 115 mm refractors FL would not be suitable for guiding.

I am thinking that a celestron gcx-l mount ($6k approx) would be an ideal mount...the CGX may do it but I am not sure.

Thirdly...what camera would be a good unit for this scope ( narrow band)...

I have pretty well decided against a Rasa .

And dropping down even to the 10 inch is an option...10 inch still would be rather decent I expect and the CGX would carry it ok I expect, cheaper again...so maybe a 10 inch.
Whatever I end up with will be in a permanent set up so weight is not a problem really.

Now if I was younger I would spend another three years on the stuff I have to learn so much stuff I realise that I do t know, but I don't have the luxury of all that much time..health wise...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Alex