View Single Post
Old 19-07-2019, 05:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Progress has been slow.

Getting the floor template done in one eight of an inch ply (whats that 3mm??) took some doing and it was getting stuck when checking it which told me that when I tried to put in the 19 mm ply floor in one piece it was not likely to work and probably ran the risk of getting stuck ..so I cut the template down the middle lengthways (2.4 mt.) which made things so much easier and the spin off was I could see where the bearers were which will be so helpful later when fastening the floor and I was able cut the holes for the piers much easier and by using the template make sure they were where they are supposed to be...
So when the templates (now 2☺) were ok I cut out the main sheet...I had bought a cordless saw which would have made the job easy but it had issues so I had to use a jig saw..rather tedious..I think I would have cut 5 meters all up with the jig saw..down the length, and the holes for the piers were half a meter square and then all the intrustions of the internal frames...it took ages.

Have yet to paint it...
Had to do do more things to the frame for the floor and talk about disaster..I used nails and of course with hardwood you must drill...well the drill was a touch too large and the nails would slide out under reasonable pressure..of course nothing should have moved but it did and ...anyways next time I will wait until I have the correct drill...to make matters worse I discovered I had a box of screws that world have been better...but its done and looks good and the floor seems level..although the whole thing was not level so I had the construct the floor not level it will be level when I put it all on piers...

So that was the easy part.
Rotating the thing was on the list today..yesterday I rounded up some water pipe to make rollers...early start ..clamp the first pipe on the bench start the genny and the angle grinder runs but causes the genny to stop...so I put the angle grinder down on the ground without switching it off��...big mistake..I restart the genny and the angle grinder churns up dust and takes off straight over my foot and ripped my new boots..I reacted quickly and stopped the genny and thought just how nasty that could have turned out...so I loaded up the pipe and took it up to the house and cut about eight sections of pipe...back to the van site ....so by jacking up the obser atory (with a crow bar) and putting lengths of hardwood and pipe on each corner and levering it a bit here and a bit there I finally managed to rotate the whole thing by 90 degrees. To look at the thing you would have bet it would not go anywhere...but I knew it had to else the eight inch would not work in it...
But by the time I got all that done it was dark ..I just finished and came in for a rest so I thought I would use the rest time to update my progress if anyone is interested.
Tomorrow there is a car rally going past the front of the property but I cant find a good spot for photos..you must stay on your property so that limits me to a long straight and I cant go to the magic corner just up the road from here which would see them in full slides...anyways I brought down the iron for the edges but not sure if I can cut it with the miserable hack saw I have...hopefully I will get some painting down but thinking about that. .. the rally may see dust reaching me here although I am a fair way from the road...anyways I still have plenty to do but having the rotation done means down hill now...oh I do have to dig the pier holes which for me may be a long job ...then the cement but its nearly finished.
Alex