Thread: At last, light
View Single Post
Old 14-07-2019, 12:22 PM
gregbradley

Wow Mike, you don't do things half arsed eh? Amazing effort.

I have been using SBIG STi autoguiders now for sveral years. I like it. It has a shutter, most don't, so it can do auto dark subtract which I found was important to not confuse software with interference artifacts.

I had trouble with a Starlight Express Lodestar that way.

There probably are more sensitive autoguiders on the market these days but I have not had it let me down so no need to go looking for alternatives.

I run a 2 metre cable on mine at my dark site. No troubles.

FLI was also bought out so I hope they continue their good service although I sent 3 emails to their service department a few months ago to get replacement fans for my Proline and there was no response. The email address was the one on their website. Normally I'd get a response in a day or so.

My Proline has needed to replace fans twice now but the camera is over 11 years old. It also now needs a desiccant replacement (simply small packs of desiccant packed under the sensor board) and a sensor clean and top up of the Argon (I am able to do all that myself). I was able to source the fans on ebay.

My ML16 has started to frost and its 2 years old so I'll do the desiccant and argon on it and probably will only take me less than an hour.

Desiccant packs are on ebay and are very very cheap.

Greg.