View Single Post
Old 13-10-2009, 10:18 AM
romeriolopez (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogers View Post
Thanks iceman and erick,

I have a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT

It was a gift from my family as they know of my interst in space, i am slwoly learning but any help is really apprciated.

I've been realy interested in Jupiter and i wanted a closer look. What can i do?

thanks for your help.
Hi,

My father is recently retired and has been a space / astronomy nut for years. I'm thinking of getting him a telescope of some description. He's interested in viewing the planets (and personally I think it would be cool to be able to see Jupiter or the rings on Saturn - even if they are a little fuzzy).

I had settled on a Celestron NexStar 130SLT (reflector) with a 2x Barlow, however someone has suggested a Celestron 102SLT (refractor), which has thrown a spanner in my decision making processes.

There's only a $100 difference in cost at my local shop (Bintelshop).

In short i'm after something that:
- simple enough for a first timer to use (he's a computer geek, so shouldn't have too many problems operating the skyaligh system)
- provides good visibility of objects in the sky (stars / nebulae as well as nearby planets)
- can be packed up and thrown (placed delicately) into the boot of a car and driven to the hills around Adelaide.

The motorized goto system on both these models seem handy, as it will give Dad plenty of things to look at while he discovers how to use it.

I guess i'm after any tips / advice from people who have purchased one or both of these scopes, and their experiences with the scopes.

Is a 2x Barlow a useful addition to each scope?

Is there any other scopes I should consider for the same budget ~$1000?

Sorry for the long first post - i'm still getting my head around the astronomy and telescope vernacular.

Cheers,

Matt