View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

More images from SA

Here's my first attempts at the comet. I had my head buried in the sand and only found out about it yesterday after seeing it on the general news media! Anyway I managed to head up to the East side of the Adelaide Hills last night to the Tungkillo lookout to get a view looking towards Mannum and Murray Bridge. Unfortunately there was cloud on the horizon that stayed all night but i still managed to get some decent views and images.

I quickly processed these in CS5 and they probably need a bit more work yet but I ran out of time! Taken with Nikon D7000, 18-105mm or Tokina 12-24mm. ISO 1600-5000, 20-30sec, f4.

Image 1 has a nice bright satellite that was heading towards the comet and Murray Bridge!

Image 2 is a cropped version of the very next image with the satellite, a small meteor (upper left), car headlights streak, town lights, Milky Way and the comet! I like all the different light sources in that one!

Image 3 is a 50mm shot

Image 4 I managed to see the head of the comet

Image 5 is a wide angle, 12mm with Mannum on the left and Murray Bridge right.

Off to Bordertown today so another dark sky beckons, although tomorrow night looks like being cloudy. I'm sure I get some later on though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lovejoy1small.jpg)
200.0 KB402 views
Click for full-size image (Lovejoy3asmall.jpg)
193.4 KB154 views
Click for full-size image (Lovejoy2small.jpg)
199.9 KB147 views
Click for full-size image (Lovejoy4small.jpg)
184.6 KB166 views
Click for full-size image (Lovejoy5small.jpg)
167.3 KB173 views