View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
bojan
amateur

My camera is damaged

Hi guys,
I had a good look on web (thanks, Leon ).. It seems error 99 is general in nature - it can be caused by various faults and reasons.

In my case, it coincides with me starting using the Focus confirmation chip on one of my lenses (I am not saying this was the cause.. I am just saying, the error started to appear soon after I put that thing on the camera).
I updated the firmware with the latest version available, I also checked the condition of both batteries...

The symptoms are interesting, as follows:
After re-installment of the battery, I can do 4 shots, no problems. After 5th one, I have error 99 on screen, which can be cleared by re-installment of battery, and then we go again.... 4 shots OK, 5th one comes with error, and is never saved on the card.
The pattern is repetitively occurring, regardless of any lens being on camera or not, with or without a CF card present.
However, the images taken with focus confirmation circuit have the upper part underexposed, which suggests a problem with the shutter.. but only with confirmation chip and only with short exposures...

So it seems something went permanently wrong inside the camera body
Darn electronics...
There is a service centre in Clayton, so I will go there today or tomorrow and have it checked.

EDIT:
One more little thing: the file names for images for some reason changed from "IMG_1234" to "_MG_1234"..
I do not really think this is related, but it started sort of at the same time or a day or two earlier....

Last edited by bojan; 04-02-2009 at 11:18 AM.