View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 09:11 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
thanks Peter a G11 was something I lusted after 10-15 years ago. I wondered how the mechanics have aged in the modern range of belt drives etc...I guess if worms are precision enough backlash isn't a problem needed belt drive a anyway? For me I am solely AP now and use an Eagle PC for mount control so don't really need or even want the hand controllers or internal software, just something that i can control via NINA or APT via the eagle.
Mine is a 2000 model. I still get +/-5" peak to peak without PEC and got it on a good night under 1" peak to peak. I recently upgraded it to the new RA/DEC coupling. I also have OPWs on both RA and DEC and 50:1 gearboxes. The great thing with Losmandy is that they are modular (like lego blocks) and when you think there is also an upgrade path for a mount that's 20 years old it says it all as far as support goes. As Peter said they're all machined from solid aluminium. No casting at all. Even the gemini box housing the electronics on mine is machined. There have been a few of these gems going for sale in the ISS classified for well under $1.5k and that makes me cringe. They're worth a lot more than that. I wouldn't consider anything south of $4k or $5k depending on the configuration.