View Single Post
Old 13-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

HEQ5 Synscan - Alignment

I welcome comments in regards to the best method for star alignment and then polar alignment of the HEQ5 mount just using the Synscan hand controller and an illuminated reticle eye piece ( with no view of SCP )

I have seen previous posts by IIS members recommending the following -

Level the scope
Orientate your mount to true south ( use magnetic declination offset or solar noon meridian shadow stick centre line )
Set the latitude to your current position
Set up the hand controller as per manual
Perform a 2 star alignment (select first star and enter then tweek the AzAlt bolts and knobs to move the star in the centre of the reticle, select second star and enter then use the hand controller to move the star to the centre of the reticle and enter) Ensure all hand controller star centering operations end with using the Up and Right direction keys

If the polar alignment error is to great you can perform an additional polar alignment using the method described in the Synscan manual in section 11.3

**** My main query is when performing the initial 2 star alignment, should you just follow the Synscan instructions and not touch the Az Alt bolts and knobs , just use the hand controller for centering 1st star and then second star , check the PA error then use the additional polar alignment method described in the Synscan manual in section 11.3 which uses the Az and Alt adjustments on the mount

Polar alignment and Star alignment of the HEQ5 has been an ongoing issue raised by IIS members for years

At this stage I'm only using the hand controller and an illuminated reticle to achieve reasonably close alignments ( no guiding, no laptop , no camera , no software etc)

I welcome any comments and advice on the above ( especially to assist any newcomers to the hobby who may be finding difficulty in aligning their mounts )

Thanks