Thread: pentax k100
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I'm getting close to buying one.

Consider whether you are buying the K100D or the recently released K100D Super. Whatever stock of the 100D is left is starting to go quite cheaply - down to $540 body only. The cheapest I've found for the Super is $629 body only.

I understand that the two main changes in the Super are a dust cleaning system (which all salespersons said "doesn't really work, like most dust cleaning systems"?!) and the Super will take the latest SDM lenses.

A review said:-
"The new K100D Super adds ISO 3200 sensitivity, SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) lens support and a Dust Removal system which operates in the same manner as the K10D; a combination of a special protective coating on the low pass filter and a high frequency 'shake' of the sensor using the SR system."

I've had Pentax all my SLR life - I have a cupboard full of Pentax and other K-mount lenses which I don't want to see go unused. Hence I'm looking at Pentax, but cannot extend my budget to the K10D - but I don't believe I need those extra megapixels nor functionality. I've decided to spend the extra $100 for the Super - which gives me the capability to use the latest lenses, when I want and can afford.

But do search the threads here. If you are talking serious astrophotography there are strong arguments to go Canon, or maybe Nikon.

Eric