Thread: Canon v Nikon
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 AM
EddieDog (Eddie)
Old Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I use the 5D MKII, 7D and Nikon D7000 and D90 regularly in work and for play

For normal photography the focus system in the D7000 absolutely slays the Canons in speed and accuracy. The twin SD card setup for the D7000 is also a big plus for me professionally.

The Full frame sensor of the 5D MKII is great in the studio, but it isn't as well suited to wildlife, sports and fast action. It is a brilliant camera for studio work, landscapes and portraits, and we utilise the video functions of it and the 7D to good effect at times as well.

The noise levels on the D7000 rival the full frame sensors, it really is a fantastic camera, and we find we are using it more and more than the Canon's when outside the studio. It's video functionality is far better than on the D90, but as with all DSLRs to do serious video work you need to spend a bundle on a focus rig to really utilise it fully. (Same for the 5D MKII and 7D)

For astro work, the D7000 will take fantastic images, but there is more options with software/hardware control for astrophotography with the Canons.

Really though, just get a dedicated CCD camera for astro work, even an old 2nd hand QHY8 (which can be had for under a grand) will beat them all out, with its cooled sensor and effectively zero noise and ease of attachment, software support etc.

A DSLR is a good choice if you already have one for terrestrial use, as you can just get an adapter and shoot away, but I wouldn't buy one just for astro use, I'd get a proper cooled CCD that doesn't have to be modified to add cooling, remove filters etc. etc. You will be much happier even with an inexpensive 2nd hand CCD than trying to make the DSLR work.

Peter, thank you for that. No, I'm not buying specifically for astro work, it's for general use with some astro thrown in, including night scenes with terrestrial objects moon or light lit, and celestial objects visible in the sky. Low noise is important. I agree that a dedicated astro camera for dso is the way to go, but for wide field good shots can be had with DSLR's. Many of your points re Nikon D7000 are valid and worth serious consideration, though I know Canon has more astro software etc available. Oh, also the Nikon has 100% optical viewfinder.

Eddie

Eddie