View Single Post
Old 25-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

NARROWBAND IMAGING with an Achromatic Refractor…A cheap Alternative?

NARROWBAND IMAGING with an Achromatic Refractor…A cheap Alternative?
I’m having a hard time deciding, what’s the best way for me to go. I know I would like the option to do a bit if imaging and pretty much have been tending for the “Orion EON ED80mm”. I know this is a very good recommendation for a newbie like myself, with imaging in mind.
The reality is that I’ll have no cash left to do anything with it after making that purchase. Therefore I have tried to rethink the whole purchase. I was looking around to see if there was any info on the NET in relation to Imaging with Achromatic Refractors & I came across “Narrow Band Imaging” I don’t know the ins & outs yet, but just wanted to get some feedback on it.
I was also impressed with this review on the “Skywatcher 120/600 Achromatic Refractor”
http://www.licha.de/astro_review_skywatcher120_600.php

Once again, I know that there are a lot of draw backs going down this track, but if there is a chance I can still play with images this way, then I am all for it. I’ll have change to get a mount & possibly one with motorized gears and hand controller & even change for accessories.
Wide Field is all I am after as I am only using binoculars at the moment (10X50) and all I was using before that was an old 60mm Tasco that has now fallen apart..LOL.. I know what coma looks like visually and it never bothered me. Also the App on this thing will be TWICE what I am use to and I’ll finally get wider views that I never go with the tasco. I guess I am trying to hard here to convince myself of something…..

Obviously the images are not going to be anything great compared to others with REAL refractors…but if I can get close to that in the review above, I’ll be happy with that and thankful for the cheaper way of at least learning about Astrophotography. I guess It will still cost a lot, but I won’t mind doing it the old school way and possibly have a greater respect for the hobby by doing so.
So what do you think? Is it worth doing for those of us that really can’t afford a big outlay all at once? Is a cheap alternative like this possible?