View Single Post
Old 23-07-2008, 08:37 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie8 View Post
Thanks Merlin for your advise & encouragement. I think the reason that I couldn't focus in the first place was I did not give the mirror enough time to cool down.(I was in a hurry to test my new toy) The whole image "boils" unsteady so hard to focus. I am considering a round table platform for tracking. Is it really worth it? Almost everyone uses a 5x Powermate. Can I use two 2x barlows? Does it give me 4X ? And IR filter in front of webcam is it neccessary? Sorry for all these questions.
Cooling time will help you achieve focus (it is hard to focus a blurry image!)

An EQ platform will definitely make life easier for you when using the webcam. Mike used one for ages and had great success.

A 5x Powermate is a great investment, but get the EQ platform first. If you think the moon moves fast past the webcam now, it'll be 5x as fast through the Powermate without the EQ platform.

2 2x barlows would probably give you around 4x but you are adding a lot of glass piggy backing the barlows, so there'll be more light loss, and achievein a sharp image will be more difficult.

A UV/IR filter will definitely help the quality and sharpness of your images. If you keep your webcam and nosepiece always assembled, it will also help keep dust off the sensor. It's not critical when you're starting out, but as you get better at imaging you'll appreciate the difference it can make.

Al.