View Single Post
Old 24-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rocky,
Dont be caught up too much on the histogram, as long as your not clipping then use your eyes to see how much you can stretch the image without introducing to much noise or brightness
As far as setting up , in Sydney I leave my scope outside for weeks at a time ( mainly during the 2 weeks of the new moon. I’ve been doing this for years and just use an Orion scope cloak with a towel underneath to absorb any condensation moisture etc..
In summer , I usually find a little spider has weaved a web in my OTA ( newt ) , so I just use a thin duster to remove it. I also clean both mirrors at least once or twice a year due to dew , ash from home combustion fires in winter , moths etc....
It is getting harder and harder to set up and pull down as you get older , so leaving the rig outside for up to a month helps a lot
I just bring cameras and laptop inside after each session and make cable ends or connectors have tape over the ends to stop corrosion
My mount and OTA are still in good condition after nearly 4 years even being left outside in rain , hot sunny days etc....
You just have do regular checks on equipment and Collimation on the OTA etc..

Cheers
Martin