View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Okay Robin I found it.

"When taking exposure sequences with the main camera, the guider must stop during image download. There are several reasons for this. Some cameras use one shutter for the main sensor and guide sensor, so the guider cannot continue during download. Many cameras hog the CPU during image download, preventing the guider from operating properly, or preventing the guider correction pulses from being generated correctly. Other cameras would produce image artifacts if the guider was consuming CPU cycles during download. Filter wheel internal sensors can also flood the sensor array with large amounts infrared light, which can cause image artifacts due to charge traps in the sensor. Although some cameras can happily guide and download at the same time, most cannot. Due to the extremely high likelihood of problems, MaxIm DL simply disables guider calibration during image download for all camera models.
One problem with the autoguider pausing is that some camera models take a very long time to download (sometimes up to a minute), and during this time the tracking can drift. By default, MaxIm DL waits five seconds for the guide star to be reacquired and settled before starting the next image. You can increase this delay time using Expose Tab settings. Alternatively, you can set up a Guider Settling Criteria, so that the next exposure will not happen until the guide star is close enough to center"

No matter what the cause it can be overcome by setting delay exposure X seconds after download. I do not like the "take exposure within X pixels" setting as it can start exposing before the mount fully settles. Still I wonder if there is a way to turn it off? I will stop blaming the ascom driver now .

Mark

Last edited by marki; 07-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.