View Single Post
Old 26-07-2019, 10:35 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Alex,

Good idea. It is something I've been doing with a couple of dew shields I have made for some of my own scopes.

However, I do have a concern about the quality of the edge of your baffle rings. They really should be a single smooth, round edge, not straight edges. The straight edges will produce diffraction patterns that will appear as scatter or brightening of the field, or worse still as spikes coming off the stars. This is the problem with the straight vanes of Newtonians and some Cassegrain designs, such as RC's and Dall-Kirkham's. The use of curved vanes eliminates these spikes.

If you look inside refractors and some Maksutovs, you will see the same baffle rings you suggest, but these are all very smooth, regular and perfectly round. It is not by accident but by design for a reason.

Making smooth, regular round baffle rings is a bugger of a thing to make.

Another trick that helps in the same way as baffle rings is coating the inside of the dew shield with course sand before painting it with matt black. Very effective too.

The pics I've attached are of a dew shield I made, with a pair of baffle rings and sand.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dew Shield (3).JPG)
182.8 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Dew Shield (2).JPG)
180.7 KB26 views