View Single Post
Old 19-09-2019, 11:02 PM
foc (Ross)

Good images,
You are getting some nice detail there. I like to see Mak images.

I have hardly ever used mono cameras and when I have, I have found it more difficult to focus on surface features on Jupiter than color but your focussing technique might well be better than mine. Seeing is so variable that I would need to try much more often to conclude whether the camera was really harder to focus with and perhaps that is the case with you and this outing that just once is not enough data.

Still, I use firecapture and if I were to try for what sounds like a quite large ROI (much larger than the planet itself) with a 2x barlow on a C6 or C8 but get such high frame rates it would mean my gain and sensitivity were set too high and this could also be the source of your noise. I commonly use a 1.5 barlow in this late stage of opposition and typically poorish seeing conditions that have often accompanied Spring in my local area. I usually use a 'neutral' gain and low sensitivity in Firecapture but I do not know if this applies with your capture software.

Your slower optics (relative to a standard Cat), makes a 2x barlow seems quite ambitious unless seeing is extremely good where you are and even then that might feature some degree of 'empty' magnification. You might instead find it worth to try with no barlow initially and consider a 1.5X Barlow as a step up if conditions are very good. And of course depending on its design a 1.5 or 2x Barlow may not give exactly that magnification when a planetary camera is inserted into it, the power mates though do have provision for an exact position at least with my 2.5 powermate..