View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Alex it's well known that many of today's scientists and astronauts and physicists grew up reading science fiction from the masters of yesteryear.

They were inspired to build and attempt and do the things they read about in fiction books.

Sorry Lewis. Thread off topic...

Hi Les
I have no doubt that many clever people have grown up on a diet of fiction..however these folk you refer to have wonderful minds and to suggest that they could not have developed ideas without prompting from folk who actually lead ( generally ) dismal lives devoid of experience of real life perhaps under estimates their capabilities...

Was Tesla inspired by fiction to deliver to us the modern world...I don't know so perhaps he to needed inspiration from folk that he probably would not have even talked to in the real world.

Did Dr Albert Einstein grow up on a diet of fiction or was his creativity enhanced due to the absence of fiction.

As always humans defend what is there even though clear thought will show that many things we include as "normal" really are most detrimental.

I don't think any of my ideas have been inspired by fiction as I don't read it and rarely watch fiction, certainly if by myself I don't watch it...heck my life beats most tales of fiction and it has not been anything exceptional.

It's like the cruelty of fishing Les..the mob thinks it's cool and so never actually think about a world free of that cruelty.

As I said look at fiction writers..they write fiction because of the lack luster lives they lead..they write about things they can only imagine all made up and the closest they get to experience is to research what the experience of others tells them and they can steal for their own invention.

Was the steam engine inspired by a work of fiction, the internal combustion engine and I wonder if Columbus was inspired by a childhood fairy tale to work upon his mission to reach India by another way.

But we do have folk working on skate board like in the movie and folk developing invisibility cloaks ..clearly the folk inspired here have been corrupted else they may have decided to work on more beneficial projects ...And there are many we can put before levitating skate boards and invisibility cloaks...light sabres for one.

Why put any mush in a child's head or a adult ..it is demeaning, unproductive and un necessary. Look at the crap most folk believe is real when clearly it is an unevidenced unsupported fairey tale that would come crashing down if they simply took time to study a drop of history or to study science.
Where does superstition come from?.it is a sinister and terrible fiction... And would the world not be a far far better place without made up superstition.
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Fiction leads to aspirations of what might and can be, if we make it happen.
Lewis if you or others need fiction for inspiration that is very sad.

I think you may find that the movers and shakers of the world really don't need to follow as they lead...perhaps we can make a list of things inspired by fiction and those that were not as that would be a good start to test the hypothesis that fiction is some how beneficial or reading between the lines somehow necessary to ensure humans have a sourse for their creativity.

I am confident that my proposition will stand out as being the most reasonable.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.