View Single Post
Old 25-10-2015, 12:52 PM
glend (Glen)

Which EOS Clip-in Narrow band for Mono DSLR?

My Canon 450D sensor is off being debayered by CentralDS. I need to decide which narrow band filters to consider for this now mono camera (and mount type). For mount type I am leaning towards EOS Clip-in filter format as I can remove the camera and change the filter without disturbing the focus (hopefully), by simply releasing the bayonet lock and removing the camera from the scope that way (leaving the T-Adaptor and bayonet on the scope). I realise this maybe wishful thinking as refocusing may be required, or may always be required with a filter change. There is no room available for a filter wheel, nor can I find a drop-in or slide solution - and EOS Clip-in filters seem very cost effective compared to others.

Secondly, which filters? I believe the typical choices are: Ha, SII and OIII but 6nm or 12nm? Pros and cons?

The camera (for a DSLR) has comparative low noise for a DSLR, and is cold finger cooled to -5C during shooting. Comparisons of Darks with Offset Bias frames at -5C show no difference. Scope used is either the RC08 (f8) or the 10" Imaging Newt (f5). Guiding is done via a guidescope and ASi camera.

Would appreciate any advice (well except go out and buy a CCD camera).