View Single Post
Old 31-10-2013, 10:48 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Thanks H!

Wow, great info thanks Greg, very imformative and depressing at the same time. Told me what I didn't want to hear, I think.

Any camera really is suitable if you go long enough exposure and use a Polarie. The limit comes from wanting to do 30 second exposures at ISO 6400 with low noise which makes it all quick and easy. Only the latest full frames and the Fuji X series can do that. Even Sony Nex series struggles with that.

I am sure I could get a rocking image from my Canon 40D if I used ISO1200 and did 90 second exposures at F2.8. It just needs a Polarie.

So you either get yourself a full frame whatever brand (they are all good) or perhaps a high performing low light APSc camera of which the Fujis are the best performing (XA1 image quality if very good) or you get yourself a $450 Polarie and suddenly any camera no matter how old is superb. Then you can concentrate on which lens. Samyang 14mm F2.8 is a great all rounder that is affordable (most widefield lenses are not).

Voigtlander make a popular 15 and 12mm but they are slow. But that is no longer a problem once you use a Polarie. I'd recommend the Polarie polar scope and carefully read the instructions on how to use it. Once you know and if you are in a dark site it only takes about 10 minutes or less to set it up perfectly. Now it will do up to 10 minutes or even 15minutes at 14m with round stars.

Nightscapes is less about the camera and more about the framing and composition and the exposure strategy. They are all good enough. Terrestial imaging is more fussy but when you think about it the differences between brands is pretty small usually and smart phones are closing the gap on the lower models every year.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 31-10-2013 at 01:45 PM.