View Single Post
Old 16-09-2009, 01:03 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Red face Gotta love widefields

Having had a look at all the wonderful shots of the milkyway I decided tonight to bite the bullet and piggy back the QHY8 with my Pentax wide angle lens (again). Never had much luck doing it in the past but I thought I'd give it another go. Anyway, because I have a fair bit of LP in my backyard I stuck a Ha filter inline and started shooting a 10min sub. Nothing. Ok , slew to Jupiter to refocus, then a 20 min sub. Nothing. Ok , I remove the Ha filter and start doing 10min subs centered on M8. Start seeing some stars and a bit of the whole milkyway in the subs. I put 2h on it in 10 min subs. Trying to process thinking, gee, this widefield business is a real hard yakka!. While I'm stacking I'm playing with the lens on my desk and look at the hole through the glass that is really really small, thinking , well, there's definitely not much light going in there , then slide in a little pin on the back of the lens and voila! the shutter opens. Never realised that the aperture was controlled by the DSLR when it's plugged into the pentax. So from now on widefield imaging should be much more rewarding for me.