Thread: M33-First LRGB
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
Interesting concept , processing a remote image

Good for Cloudy nights

I just saw your comment regarding "Dithering" and was quite surprised you may not have used this procedure in AP before ?
There's an old saying in AP "Dither or Die" but I don't really subscribe to that saying as many folk don't dither and still produce great images. However I can say that my dithered images are much cleaner than un dithered.Its more apparent with noisy images

Your probably aware of the reasons for dithering -
Removes Hot Pixels
Removes Fixed Pattern Noise
Reduces Dark Current ( Noise )
Helps eliminate Satellite trails and other anomalies when you Stack
And so on..........
Dithering just moves your whole frame after each sub anywhere from 0.05 to 2.0 pixels depending on your image scale, guiding program and settings in your capture software.

I started dithering after about 6 months into AP with my Canon 600D and BYEOS capture software and have dithered ever since. Some folk mention it adds to much time to your imaging session but for me it just a part of your capture and you dont really take much notice how long it adds
Now using APT with the new 2600MC camera , the dithering command after each sub seems to take less time than the old DSLR and BYEOS , maybe the dither sequence is more sophisticated in APT or my settings are lower but when you scroll through the frames for post analysis , the frame sure do move in al directions

So for me Dithering is a great benefit , costs you nothing but a little bit more time and the results show for themselves

Most capture software programs have a dithering commands which is automatically integrated with your Guiding program , mine being PHD2

Cheers
Martin