View Single Post
Old 14-10-2020, 09:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

NGC 578 a beautiful galaxy in Cetus

Because I had plenty up my sleeve, I took the week off on leave to hit something over the New Moon ...buuut of course once I was off, the weather reports had most of the week cloudy didn't they? ....except Monday night , which turned out to be perfectly clear, steady and transparent with no Moon but I fear this will be it for the rest of the week here in the Canberra region....sigh...dreaming of the Atacama

So, armed with a few options, depending on the seeing, which thankfully proved to be quite good on the night I decided to hit this well placed and beautiful, all be it rather small (4.8' x 3'), spiral galaxy in Cetus, which is rarely imaged by amateurs

I was quite pleased with the detail obtained and a cool thing to note, is the distant spiral galaxy seen through the arms of NGC 578, it's the yellow/orange object that appears to be sticking out of the galaxy disc to the left of the core

Capture details are under the image and all 7hrs of data, through 5 filters, was collected over the one night (no auto/scripting and manual hand dome pushing) . I actually managed to grab 7.5hrs of data all up but had to throw a few subs due to bright satellite trails, two of which, (of course ), passed right through the core of the galaxy . Happy and contented with a productive night, I definitely enjoyed the Macca's on the way home at 5:30am

NGC 578 (click on image twice to see the largest file)

To surf the whole full res full frame image go HERE

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (N578small.jpg)
68.0 KB250 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 14-10-2020 at 10:05 AM.