View Single Post
Old 13-07-2019, 10:42 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

4G Interference with Digital TV

I have recently experienced frequent and spasmodic interference with Sydney SBS digital channel which operates on 184.5MHz. The TV reception can be normal but suddenly wiped out by massive pixelation which just as suddenly stops after a variable length of time. It is significant that this interference ONLY occurs on the SBS band. A check of the signal strength of SBS indicates maximum reception level. I did the routine things such as checking the antenna, cleaning the antenna input connection with electronic cleaning fluid etc, but the problem still persists.

This morning in the Sydney Morning Herald there is an article titled "TV viewers foot bill for mobile interference". It goes on to say that with the extension of the 4G network that this problem is becoming prevalent for TV viewers. In the specific case which occurred in Dandenong it was thought that the problem was occurring because of a nearby Vodaphone 4G signal tower. Although Vodaphone did acknowledge that there was a high traffic 4G tower (operating on the 700MHz band in the vicinity) they denied all responsibility. ACMA was approached but "they don't want to know about it" and that the solution is to be borne by the viewer as the telecommunications carrier is not liable providing their base stations are operating with specifications (they would say that wouldn't they?).

The article goes on to say that antenna installers are increasingly coming across this problem and the solution is to install a filter at the antenna. One sufferer reports paying $390 for a callout and filter installation.

I am a retired Telecommunications Engineer and had previous experience with such cross interference mainly with HF and VHF installations. This was usually cured by installation of a simple filter at the receiver end to block out the offending radio transmission.

My expertise is outdated and I have none in the frequency range used by digital TV networks. However, knowing the extensive knowledge of a lot of IceInSpace members, perhaps someone can come up with a simple filter design to knock out the offending 700Mhz signal from entering my TV band? I live in hope!

Peter