View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 01:09 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

A look at the graphs on the QHY page suggests that the full well of the sensor might be around 75Ke, but you have to interpolate a bit from graphs which dont have very clear scales, what is clear though is the gain would have to be below unity to use it. From my experience of the ASI294 there was no great benefit and some downsides to going below unity so I have no idea if the extra full well would really be an advantage or not, at least when 50KE is on offer to begin with. I have not found an explicit Sony spec so far which states unequivocally what the pixel well capacity is.

I am inclined to wonder if extra memory on board is any advantage, my understanding is that it is used to optimise the readout speed off the sensor without any USB speed issues to contend with, if that is all it is used for it is hard to see what more achieves?

All I can say so far is that with the every limited use the weather has given me, the ASI2600 is promising to be a very nice camera and a solid step up from the ASI294, and it is simple in operation, set 0 gain, 50 offset, cool it down, enjoy. Comparisons to the QHY I will have to leave to others as I can't compare real world use with a camera I don't have and real world is what matters after all.